+ ASH WEDNESDAY – FEBRUARY 22 +
Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent, is observed throughout the diocese as a day of fasting, abstinence of meat, and the distribution of ashes. (Per General Instruction of the Roman Missal, nos. 27-29) Ashes are blessed and imposed after the homily. These ashes are of branches of the olive tree or, according to custom, of the palm tree or other trees, which have been blessed the previous year.
+ CATHEDRAL MASS SCHEDULE FOR ASH WEDNESDAY +
Mass with the distribution of ashes on Ash Wednesday, February 22, will be held in the Cathedral.
Mass times are:
- 8:15 am(School), 12:10 pm & 5:30 pm.
- Bishop Malone will celebrate the 5:30 pm Mass.
- Weekday Masses during Lent will be at 12:10 pm in the Chapel.
+ LENTEN REGULATIONS +
- Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are days of Fast and Abstinence from meat.
- All the Fridays of Lent are days of Abstinence from meat.
- Fasting – There is a limit of one full meal on these days for all between the
ages of 18 and 59, inclusive.
- Abstinence – All who have reached their 14th year are bound to abstain totally from meat.