Preserving our Parish History
Preservation of our parish history has been of great importance ever since the first day the Jesuits came to Shreveport in 1902 – the preservation continues today with the writing of our history (book to be published this fall) and the archaeological dig at the site of our first church and school.
From the early days of the establishment of the parish, our Jesuit priests kept journals chronicling the day-to-day life of a Catholic community in the early 1900’s Shreveport. Along with city maps, journals and old photographs, the exact site of the first church and school were located on Texas Avenue. The findings have been posted on our Facebook site.
May 9. 2017: Excavation exposing foundations of original St. John’s College and Church on Texas Avenue, built in 1902 by the Jesuits. A historical marker will be placed at the site of our first parish church and school.
May 26: More excavation exposing foundations of original St. John’s College and Church on Texas Avenue, built in 1902 by the Jesuits. East foundation!! Center aisle of church. Chimney. Meet the team. First artifacts.
June 2: Please share!! From Red River Radio: Thursday, June 1, 2017, at 11 a.m. Bill Beckett spoke with Father Peter Mangum, Rector of the Cathedral of St John Berchmans along with archeologist Jason Brown and Dr. Cheryl White, Associate Professor of History here at LSUS about an archeological dig going on now on the site of the Original Cathedral of St John Berchmans.
June 4: Update from the archaeological site of St. John’s 1902 original church. Team unexpectedly unearths eastern foundational pillar deep–like an ancient step pyramid or Mayan ziggurat.
On the local newstation, Channel 3, KTBS: